Every closed door seems to hold infinite possibilities. For this week’s Shooting Challenge, we’re playing on a classic theme on photography: Photograph a door.
Photograph a door. Any door! (Though garage doors are kinda boring. You’re really better bring it if you’re thinking about photographing a garage door.)
It’s not hard to photograph a door. Just make sure of a few things:
1. Shoot in the morning or late afternoon. Around noon, and your lighting will be harsh, without nice shadows, and it will lack warmth.
2. Back away. Too close, and you’re only more likely to see lens distortion, warping your image. You can always crop the shot if you shoot too wide. But it’s hard to fix a photo taken too close.
3. Stick that door in the middle of the frame, or one third in. (See: the rule of thirds)
4. Use the grid on your smartphone photo app, or the horizon lines in your lens to take a flat photo.
Our lead shot is from Kool Cats Photography, and it was taken in Arcadia, Oklahoma. I love the monotone layers of wood emphasizing texture.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 8th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Door” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameDoor.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameDoorWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!