This Sunday is the first official day of summer. And for this week’s Shooting Challenge, give us a taste of the season to come, in gold.
Photograph something indicative of summer during the fabled golden hour. That can be flowers, a picnic, a slice of watermelon, the sun itself, or just a beautiful scene of the new season—but do it during the beginning or end of the day when the world is warm and beautiful.
When I think of summer, I think about staying out late playing with my friends, and only coming in as the sun went down. I remember what photographers call the golden hour—the brief window of time around dawn and dusk in which everything glows gold. It’s not a requirement, but it’s a good week to try out golden hour photography.
The hardest part is timing it right (find your window here), and then using the proper technique (which you can check out here). But thanks to the internet, I guess that figuring that stuff out isn’t really so hard.
Our lead shot is by Richard Walker. Notice how the bike isn’t just gold, but it’s surrounded by interesting shadows? This is because the sun is lower in the sky, and so images have more depth and nuance than they do washed out during the day.
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 22nd at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with “Summer” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSummer.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameSummerWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!