Photographic negatives are like a peek into some hidden dimension. And for this week’s Shooting Challenge, we want you to photograph a negative.
Take a photo negative. And since most of you are shooting digital, it’s OK, you can fake it!
A photo negative is really a color and contrast reversal. That means whites will be blacks. But just as importantly, oranges will be blues. Study up on your complementary colors to predict how your photos will turn out.
Beyond that, you’ll need to produce the negative. In Photoshop, that’s just a filter. But you can also download an app to do it in a click. This one looks fine!
Our lead image is by AntheaAtlas. It’s Hong Kong. Note that some buildings almost appear teal! Think about those complementary colors!
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you’re using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 18th at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with “Negative” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameNegative.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameNegativeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.