It's hard to take an enchanting photo. But it's even harder to take an enchanting photo that's 3x or more the normal length. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, we're going wide. We're going panoramic.
Take a panoramic photo. Feel free to use an app, like the iPhone's, to do so. You can do a 180 or 360-degree panorama, or anything in between. Just no spherical or vertical panoramas this week.
With the ubiquity of apps, it's not too technically difficult to take panoramic photos these days. That said, technique can still come into play. I like this tutorial for its practical tips about planning your frame and keeping your perspective steady.
But I'd love to see you guys push the envelope. There's no reason to think literally when you can hack panoramas in so many ways—stitching various scenes together in Photoshop, having your subject run across the frame to capture them in multiples—the panorama itself is a sort of photographic hack, so feel free to hack it even further.
Our lead image is a classic cityscape by flickr's tommerton2010. San Francisco has its beautiful moments, doesn't it?
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 25th at 9AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Panorama" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnamePanorama.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnamePanoramaWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.