Sam Biddle declares you should never, ever take a photo with a tablet. Objection noted. But to celebrate the launch of the iPad 3—the first decent camera in an iPad—we're going to do it anyway.
Take a photo with a tablet. It can be an iPad (old or new) or Android machine.
Here's the deal. Tablets are a bit unwieldy. But at the same time, their size is incredible for framing and examining a shot. Maybe we'll all take photos with our tablets in the future, maybe we won't. Consider yourselves a litmus test to this possible future. Document what you like about it, and what you don't.
(It should be noted, Biddle is right. You'll probably look like an idiot taking photos. Disagree? Then why doesn't Apple show anyone actually using the camera in their promotional teaser? Then again, it won't be the first time any of us looked dumb taking a photo.)
Use filters if you'd like. Touch up photos in Photoshop. Whatever. Just take a great shot, document the hardware and software you used and let us know how the whole tablet photography experience felt (if you'd ever do it again).
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using on your tablet is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 19th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Tablet" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTablet.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameTabletWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.