It's the best leather coat you will ever own. It's your skin. And smooth or wrinkled, it tells the story of your life.
Take a photo that features skin as its subject. It can be an abstract detail shot or a larger portrait. Your call.
In the simplest terms, if you want to flatten wrinkles, you line your light source up head-on. If you want to bring out wrinkles, make sure your light comes in from the side. To bring out optimal textures, you need to consider your light. Read more on that here.
Now, to exaggerate the wrinkles/bumps/hairs/texture that you've photographed, you'll want to pump your contrast. But there's an art to it to make the effect feel natural. Read more on that here.
Our lead image is from flickr's linh.ngan (cropped here). Note that you won't be able to get a photo like this at noon in full sun—her face would be washed out. If photographing outside, do so in the morning or near dusk.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 19th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Skin" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSkin.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameSkinWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.