Our gorgeous fall leaves are gone for the season, and we're left with bare trees over a sky of grey. But that, too, can be a beautiful thing in its own way. For this week's Shooting Challenge, let's celebrate trees without the leaves—in black and white.
Take a photo of a tree without leaves. And process it somehow without color (black and white, monochrome, whatever you want to call it).
I don't want to say this week's challenge is easy, but c'mon, it's SO easy. Photographing such stark figures in black and white means that you can get away with things you normally can't—like taking photos at noon when the sky is blown out and overcast, because who cares if you want a contrasty figure of black zigzagging wood over a white backdrop?
The key is, find a really amazing tree to celebrate. Shoot it in a poised angle. Try to put your spin on this group challenge.
Our lead image, by flickr's Forsaken Photos, brings another subject into the mix—an old house. Feel free to do the same thing my mixing subjects. In this case, I dig that the branches and the overgrown siding seem to live as one entity.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, December 8th at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Tree" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTree.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameTreeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.