This Saturday, June 21, is the longest day of the year and the start of summer. In celebration, we're all going pagan, to show appreciation to that which gives us all life. Let's worship the sun—in photographs!
On June 21, take a photo of the sun. Morning, noon, sunset, no matter.
Now, we all know that you can aim at the sky to get an overexposed orb or a bit of lens flare. And while there's nothing wrong with that, you can actually take more detailed photos using telescopes and filters. A simple piece of mylar can cut through UV and IR light to provide incredible shots.
Of course you can always go with a sunrise or sunset instead.
Just make sure to do the sun justice. It's pretty much the sun's birthday this weekend. And we are all made of star stuff, after all.
Our lead image is from flickr's fdecomite. It appears the photographer may have desaturated the skyline in post production (but maybe this is a filter or lighting trick I'm missing?). Either way, a bit of inspiration for you this Saturday.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 23rd at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Solstice" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSolstice.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameSolsticeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.