It’s that time of year, where everything is on the cusp of death again, and we’re about to dig deep into our root cellars and grocer’s freezers to eat. But not YET! So for this week’s Shooting Challenge, let’s photograph some fresh produce.
Take a photograph of fruits and/or veggies. Think of it as a classic still life with a twist. Celebrate their color, texture, and natural deliciousness.
If you’re going for a natural look, the best bet is to set up your produce near a window inside, and capture some of that perfect, diffused light shining in through the window. But the overachievers amongst you may have lights, tripods, and other fun gadgets. If so, here’s a deep tutorial on different lighting effects for photographing still life images.
Our lead shot is by Sharon Mollerus. I love that it’s full-out fruit, and just a eye-smack of color saturation. It’s nothing complicated. The subject speaks for itself.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, September 14 at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Produce” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameProduce.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameProduceWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!