Rejoice, Citizen! Paranoia, the ultimate RPG of the darkly humorous future, is coming back — or it will if you don’t mind spending a few Alpha Complex credits on this Kickstarter. The new version of the classic game has been streamlined and modernized for the 21st century, and best of all, it’s almost nearly funded!
Helmed by table-top gamesmaster James Wallis, along with original designers Eric Goldberg and Greg Costikyan, the new Paranoia has been rebuilt from the ground-up to fit in with our modern age. There are obviously a ton of rewards for varying levels of financial commitment, but I imagine post of you are going to want the special Ultraviolet Level Box Set, which is only able to folks who help with the Kickstart to the tune of £30 ($48). Here’s what’s included:
• A brand new Player’s Guide safely separates Red clearance rules from those things players are not meant to know.
• The Games Master’s Guide contains all the diabolical tricks, traps and general nastiness needed to run Paranoia successfully.
• The Missions Book features several brand new scenarios to get you started as Troubleshooters in Alpha Complex.
• 100 full colour cards covering everything you need to play from character creation and mutant powers to combat and the latest equipment from R&D.
• The special Computer Dice, a six-sider with the symbol of the Computer to let you know when things really have gone pear-shaped...
• Six wipe-clean (allowing you to wipe away pen marks - or Troubleshooter’s blood, as the case may be) Character Sheets, so you will never have to use a ragged print out ever again!
Those less loyal servants of the Computer may opt for the £18 ($29), which provides you with pdfs of the books. But you’re very loyal, aren’t you? AREN’T YOU?!
Joking aside, the original Paranoia is one of the best RPGs ever, and with less than £3000 (of £30,000) to go as of the time this article was published, it’s happening. If you’re on the fence, please read my fond, fond memories of the setting here, and/or head to the Kickstarter page to get all the details you want on the new edition. And then remember that only Commie Mutant Traitor would fail to contribute to this. And we all know what happens to Commie Mutant Traitors.