Our world celebrates the perfect—smooth, virgin surfaces, on our bodies and possessions alike. For this week's Shooting Challenge, make the broken beautiful. Capture an intricate shatter.
Capture something that's shattered. Whatever you like. However you like. The only requirement is that a shatter is the subject of the photo.
I know, I know, you have this awesome iPhone/iPod/iPad that you dropped and, well, you might as well take a quick shot and send it in. No! Do more! Think harder!
Pull out a macro lens. Or find something in your environment that is shatterer/cracked but isn't glass (like a fissure in the earth). Or just break something. The challenge is to celebrate the beautiful abstraction of something most of us have have cast off as ugly.
Our lead photo is by Sean McCormick. It's overt, with a thick, white web of brokenness dominating the frame so much that you're forced to appreciate the fine nuance of cracking. It's unpredictably perfect. You can do something similar, or you diverge from the idea. Your call.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 27th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Shatter" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameShatter.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameShatterWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.