Summer's in full swing. So it's time to make excuses. Excuses to use your camera, to be immature, and to hit somebody consentingly in the face with a water balloon.
Photograph something pertaining water fight. It can be a gun, balloon, or any other water-esque weaponry in any way. Be creative or just document a scene. Your call.
So the first priority is to make sure your camera stays dry. PopSci recommends unlubricated condoms. MIT documents a somewhat involved but cheap hack. Instructables insists on Tupperware. Ziplocs can even work in a pinch, though they'll likely blur your shot.
Experts may want to capture one of those insane, moment-the-balloon explodes shots. And they can. For everyone else, it's on you to elevate water fights to high art.
Our lead shot is by flickr's midiman. It's not a wonderfully composed shot, but I love that it's sheer silly chaos.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, July 15th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Water Fight" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameWaterFight.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameWaterfightWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!