Man Allegedly Burned by Galaxy Note 7 Is Suing Samsung

Image: Reddit.com/Crushader
Image: Reddit.com/Crushader

A Florida man who claimed to suffer severe burns when his Galaxy Note 7 exploded in his pocket is now suing Samsung. Jonathan Strobel of Boca Raton is the first to file a lawsuit against Samsung after the company officially recalled the latest addition to the Note series on Thursday.

Advertisement

Strobel’s lawyer Keith Pierro told Reuters, “Unfortunately for my client, the recall came too late.”

Strobel, 28, alleges that when the phone exploded in his pocket, it burned through his pants, causing severe burns on his right leg and on his left thumb, which he injured when he attempted to remove the phone from his pants.

Advertisement

The lawsuit, filed in a Florida state court in Palm Beach County, “seeks unspecified damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other alleged injuries,” according to Reuters. A Samsung spokeswoman said the company doesn’t comment on ongoing litigation.

Strobel isn’t the only person who claims their Note 7 injured them. Earlier this week, the device exploded in the hands of a 6-year-old boy. Another Florida man claims his Note 7 was responsible for setting his Jeep ablaze. The exploding phone is also suspected to have caused a South Carolina house fire and nearly $1,400 worth of damage in a hotel room.

If you have a Galaxy Note 7, exchange it immediately. It’s clearly not safe and I don’t want you to get hurt.

Advertisement

[Reuters]

Eve Peyser was the night editor at Gizmodo.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter

DISCUSSION

mannyfregoso
John Titor

And I see all the misfortune happens to the dumb people in Florida. This would have been avoided if he listened to the news reports and post about returning or exchanging the phone. I bet he only did this to try to get some money from Samsung. The case is going to get thrown out since he was already given the warning.