Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explodes, Burns 6-Year-Old: Report

WMBF News screenshot

A Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has reportedly exploded again, this time in the hands of a six-year-old boy. The boy experienced “burns to his body,” and is too afraid to be near any other devices, according to The New York Post.

“The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded,” Linda Lewis, the boy’s grandmother, told The Post. “It set off alarms in my house. “He is home now. He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.” Lewis claims she’s been in contact with Samsung but refused to elaborate further.

Advertisement

Samsung has issued a full recall for all Galaxy Note 7s, because they all risk spontaneously exploding, especially while charging. Airlines are even mandating that all passengers with a Galaxy Note 7 must turn off and stow their phone during flights. The exploding phone has been linked to a house fire in South Carolina.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission also warned to stop using the phone.

Gizmodo has reached out to Downstate Medical Center, where the boy was taken to treat his burns and Samsung and will update if we hear back.

Update 12:46 PM EST: Samsung says they are in contact with the Lewis family, but declined to comment further.

Advertisement

[New York Post]

Share This Story

About the author

William Turton

Staff Writer, Gizmodo | Send me tips: william.turton@gizmodo.com

TwitterPosts
PGP Fingerprint: 88DF AB75 FAFC 1D10 4C45 A875 CA45 ABE6 B08D 8E52PGP Key
OTR Fingerprint: 47F02E79 399AB8FA CC2A4DEF 4573B25F 18AB41D2