What you are looking at is a hunk of finger from some poor bastard named Dirk caught between two large neodymium magnets. Good lord that is disgusting.
Dirk had an accident. Below is the X-ray showing his totally crushed finger tip. It took 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove the shattered bones and repair the damage. Medically speaking, he crushed his right index finger distal phalange. The magnets had a 50 cm (20 inch) separation when they decided to fly together.
Neodymium magnets are rare-earth magnets and are the among the strongest made today. Their strength is graded on a scale that ranges from N24 to N55—this particular magnet clocked in at N45. Sufficed to say, these magnets are dangerous. To be honest, this guy is probably lucky he didn't lose his whole hand.
Dirk posted several shots of his mangled finger online in an effort to warn people about the risks of purchasing these magnets—but I spared you the goriest of them. For those of you who are not squeamish (and not sitting at work) hit the following link to witness the horror in its entirety. [Magnetnerd via Geekologie]