You probably don’t know this, but June 14th is the World Health Organization’s worldwide day for blood donation. In observance, let’s take this opportunity to photograph an unlikely subject: blood.
Photograph blood. It can be real or fake. Human or hamburger or plant or a body of water during a red sunset or just good old cornstarch and food coloring. Just follow the theme in some way.
It should go without saying, but please do not cut yourselves or anyone else for this challenge. If you’d like to photograph your own blood, why not just go to a blood bank and donate it in a safe and sterile environment?
With that PSA out of the way, you may be surprised, there aren’t a lot of tutorials for photographing blood! It’s remarkably taboo, and no doubt, mostly tied to acts of violence.
But what about making blood? Oh boy, there’s loads of information on that! Check out this guy’s recipes—most of them edible, complete with Kool-Aid and chocolate syrup.
Our lead shot is by Mattia Belletti. It’s a remarkable bit of macro photography, isn’t it? That wrinkled skin juxtaposes against that perfectly smooth droplet. It’s both grotesque and beautiful.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 15th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Blood” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBlood.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBloodWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!