The world is alive with a myriad of vibrant colors. Let's forget about that this week and just focus on the simple elegance of just one. Show us what you can do with the timeless techniques of monochrome photography.
Take the best photo you can using any variation on black and white or monochrome. Don't be a slave to color. We will be looking for photos that highlight contrast, shape, composition—those tenets of photographic technique that are really brought into focus in monochrome images.
It doesn't matter whether you are using actual black and white film, or converting your digital files on your computer. Landscape, still life, portrait, it's up to you. You can tone your image with sepia, cyan, or any other single hue you want.
Just, remember, when you don't have color to entice the eye, photographic principles of contrast and composition come to the fore. Use them wisely!
Our lead shot is by flickr's jonoakley. It employs a nice range of grays, with highlights that stand out.
To provide fair and equal chance of winning to all Gawker Media / Kinja readers, the following are the official rules for all contests on Gawker…Read…
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 19th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Monochrome" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameMonochrome.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameMonochomeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!