Using solarization, you can create a world of opposites, where darks are light, and lights are dark. For this week’s Shooting Challenge, give us a peek into that other world.
Take a photograph and process it using a solarization filter, which will reverse your shadows and highlights. The end result should be black and white.
Back in 2012, we ran a Solarization Shooting Challenge. You’ll find desktop and dSLR tips there. But what’s changed since then is that more or less everyone has a decent camera in their phone. This app seems to do the job for free. This app will cost you $1. I’m trying to figure out if Camera+ will handle the job. Anyone know? If so, sound off in the comments.
Our lead shot is by Christopher Littlefield from our last solarize challenge. See how the sky is dark and the buildings are light? Cool, right?
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 24th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Solarize” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSolarize.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameSolarizeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!