Your 11-year-old self appears at your office. He or she takes a look at what you've become—some desk-jockey with yesterday's Panera Bread crumbs on their cheek, some dystopian deformity of the 11-year-old who built their own time machine just to come see you. He or she doesn't cry, but you can tell, they're quite disappointed.
"Prisms," they say quietly. "I guess I just thought you'd do more with prisms."
Now is your chance.
Take a photograph through a prism.
This is the easiest, coolest thing you can do with your camera. If you have a prism, there's no setup required. If you don't have a prism, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Hold a prism in front of your lens. Take a photo.
Our lead shot is from flickr's psyberartist. Ignore that it'd be 100x better if someone clone-stamped away the wires. See how the bokeh from the lens actually blends with the main scene? Isn't that neat?
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, September 9th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Prism" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnamePrism.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnamePrismWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!