You kids and your #nofilter tags. Everything’s filtered! The engineer who built your camera made dozens of decisions about color, lighting, and contrast processing. So for this week’s Shooting Challenge, let’s celebrate the filter. Nay, let’s full-out ROAST the filter.
Take a photograph and process it with the craziest filter(s) you can find on the internet. Points for obscure weirdness, and extra points for anyone who can pull off something that looks especially beautiful or terrible in the process
Hearts. Anime characters. Extreme bokeh-ed out David Hasselhoffs. I don’t know what kind of filters exist in the darkest corners of the internet, but I bet you do.
So find them, apply them, tell us where you found them—and if you’re a coder or something, super bonus points if you make your own and share it with the audience.
Our lead shot is by Beverly & Pack: “Old Glory, Patriotic Rustic Peeling American Flag with the Fractalius Filter added, creating much more depth as well as color.” Bring it.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Tuesday, September 8 at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with “Filter” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameFilter.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameFilterWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!