Two parallel lines slowly intersect, then seem to vanish into the distance. No wonder it’s called a vanishing point. And for this week’s Shooting Challenge, we want you to photograph it.
Take a photograph that features a vanishing point.
We take it for granted now, but the vanishing point was a radical discovery, in the 1400s when the artist Filippo Brunelleschi introduced the idea of perspective. Parallel lines converge to add depth to an image, and where they disappear to is the vanishing point.
For artists of the era, creating these effects required geometric mastery. Today, you can just point your camera at a road and grab the effect perfectly. But for a little more explanation, check this tutorial and this one.
Our lead shot is by Angus MacRae. And it’s a gorgeous shot on the road to Monument Valley, AZ. Note how the road draws your eye into the frame. For bonus points, find something interesting to feature at the end of that road to give your viewer a payoff.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, October at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Vanish” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameVanish.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameVanishWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!