Smartphone Battery Explodes After Man Tries Biting It for Some Reason

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

A video of a man at an electronics store has gone viral in Asia. What’s so special about the video? As you can see in the GIF above, the man bites an iPhone replacement battery shortly before the battery explodes.

Taiwan News reports that the security camera footage you see above was shot in China around January 19th. As of this writing, the video has been viewed almost 5 million times on alone. It has, of course, been ported to other sites like YouTube.

Why was the man biting the battery? There are a number of theories, though his true motive remains unclear. Apple Insider speculates that the man was testing the authenticity of the battery, though it’s not clear how you could tell a knock-off Apple product from a real one by biting it.


As Taiwan News suggests, it’s common for people to test the authenticity of gold by biting it, but iPhone batteries are not made of pure gold. In fact, all smartphones are made of pretty toxic shit when you get right down to it.

At the end of the day, there’s only one lesson to be learned from this incident: Don’t bite your electronics, no matter how tasty they look. The same goes for Tide pods, of course.


[Taiwan News via Apple Insider]