We've been eagerly anticipating the release of Monsterpocalypse, the tabletop game of giant monster destruction, for months now here at io9. With the first set of monsters hitting game stores in just a few weeks, Privateer Press has released the full rulebook for the game in PDF form. Yes, it has giant monsters chucking buildings at each other, but it has so much more.The rulebook (available here) is a hefty 64 pages, but that includes stats for all he figures in the first set and a glossary, plus two page descriptions of each faction, like the one for the Martian Menace pictured above. Here are some details:
- Each monster comes in two forms - Alpha form and Hyper form. There are also two flavors of Hyper - Ultra-Hyper and Mega-Hyper. Mega-Hyper figures will be available as prizes at special events and tournaments, or as mail-in offers. It's like when Godzilla walks into high-voltage wires and his back fins get all glowy.
- When a building is destroyed (and they will be) a couple of things happen. The monster doing the destroying gets a power-up, and the building is replaced by rubble that might be a towering inferno or a pile of radioactive waste.
- The play mat is a city block with places for monster spawn points and building placement. I hope they come out with new maps. I love new maps.
- The game uses special dice that you "spend" to activate your units. Each turn will require decisions as to which units to move or attack with. Go all out with your monsters, or play a tactical game with your hover tanks and robot ninjas?
- You can play with multiple monsters, not just one-on-one. There are special rules for monster team-up attacks, like the double head-butt, and a maneuver where two monsters pick up a third and swing him around.
- A tip for those of you who are turned off by collectible games: get a starter pack, then wait a month or two and cherry pick the figures you want on ebay.
Images by: Privateer Press.