Deep beneath the Earth, humans dug massive subway tunnels — and sometimes, we abandon them. As they decay, these places start to look like the macabre remains of buried civilizations. Here is a gallery featuring some of the most fascinating and weirdest of these underground places.
The station with two platforms was opened in 1907, but there were lots of unused and undecorated areas.
The eastern one was closed in 1914 because of the low usage. It was used as storage for some paintings (from the National Gallery) between 1917 and 1918.
The other tunnel and platform was closed shortly after the start of The Blitz in September 1940. The tunnels were used to store items the legendary Elgin Marbles and other invaluable items from the British Museum, but the other parts of the station were operated as bomb shelters to the Londoners. After the end of the War the station reopened, and used until 1994.
Opened in 1904, closed in 1945, but it's still used as a turning loop. The colored glass tilework, the Gustavino tiles and skylights are really elegant, it was a real gemstone of the New York City Subway system.
It was closed on September 2, 1939, one day after the start of World War II, but later it re-opened for a while. The station has two levels and four platforms.
Tunneling had begun in 1903, works were ended in 1906, before the surface building and the lift shafts were done. In 1907 the CCE&HR company (Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway) has opened the lane, but the trains were running through the uncompleted station. The platform edges were removed in the early 1930s and the platforms were removed during WWII. In these years the place was used to store secret archives. Later a manually operated lift was built.
(via Silent UK)
The passageway was sealed off in 1959, when the station was rebuilt and the elevators were changed to escalators. In 2010-11 the station was redecorated and during these works a passageway full with original posters was discovered. Later it has been re-entombed.
(via Mickey Ashworth/Flickr)
Served between 1927 and 1956. The half of the railway was used for freight traffic until the 1970s. In 2010 the West Tunnel was filled.
It was open to the public for only six months in 1966. Later it was used for film shoots, (Total Recall, Don't Say A Word, Johnny Mnemonic, Bulletproof Monk), special events and public tours.
(via Adventure Worldwide)
(via A Walker In L.A)
First used in 1938, but being famous because of Roosevelt, who wanted to hide this way the fact that he has polio and using a wheelchair. His train is still there, which was large enough for the President's armored car.
After the train has arrived, the giant private elevator could lead the car to the hotel's garage.