The Future Is Here
We may earn a commission from links on this page

Here's Why Twitter Says They Were Offline

Reports of outages on the site shot up around 8 a.m. on Thursday, right as much of the East Coast workforce logged on.

We may earn a commission from links on this page.
Image for article titled Here's Why Twitter Says They Were Offline
Photo: Lionel Bonaventure (Getty Images)

Update: Twitter says it’s resolved outage issues that left large swaths of users unable to access the site for hours. In a statement sent to Gizmodo and posted online, Twitter said it, experienced “some trouble with our internal systems,” which impacted users globally. The company says the issues have since been resolved.


Glassy-eyed Twitter addicts on Thursday morning were shocked to find the site down and out of commission.

Reports of Twitter outages on the tracking site Down Detector appeared in the minutes before 8 a.m. Eastern time, right as much of the U.S.’ East coat worse force logged on for work. Outage reports quickly skyrocketed, topping over 54,000 by the time of writing. Gizmodo was unable to access the site and instead received an error page saying “something went wrong.” TweetDeck is also down at the time of writing.


The outage appears limited to Twitter. Down Detector noted some incremental outages across other sites but Twitter stood alone with its sharp and sudden rise of reports. In an emailed statement, a Twitter spokesperson told Gizmodo they are looking into the situation. At around 9 a.m. EST, Gizmodo staff based in the U.K. and some on the East Coast said they were successfully able to access the site. Around 10 minutes later, Twitter released a statement acknowledging the issue and said it was working to get the site back up for everyone. Presumably, users without access to the site were unable to see that message.

The outage comes at a tense time for Twitter which is just days into what may amount to a lengthy legal battle with its chicken shit would be owner Elon Musk. On Tuesday, the company sued the billionaire in Delaware court in an effort to force him to close out his $44 billion acquisition of the company.

Update 1:00 P.M: Added statement from Twitter.