CTIA comes but twice a year, and it gives the telecoms and phone makers a chance to show off their coolest stuff. Verizon Wireless apparently has its hands full with the whole open-network thing, because instead of unveiling something potentially sweet like the LG VX9700 or VX8560, its lineup of CTIA phones looks pretty ho-hum. Yes, there's a new BlackBerry Curve 8330 and a slimmer enV, but even those and the other handsets from HTC, Motorola and Samsung suffer from a re-heated leftover vibe:
• enV2 by LG - The most legitimately new phone of the line is a sequel to the original enV, a bulky but fun text-messaging phone with QWERTY keyboard. This one is slimmer, with bigger keys, SDHC support for 8GB MicroSD cards, and better Bluetooth connectivity. Comes in "sophisticated" black or maroon - $130 after a $50 (mail-in?) rebate
• BlackBerry Curve 8330 - I love a good Curve as much as the next guy, especially one with EV-DO and SDHC support for MicroSDs up to 8GB. But it's going to be a hard one to squeeze in between the $200 Pearl and the $300 8830 World Edition - $270 after a $50 mail-in rebate
• Motorola Q9c - A less-colorful business-minded version of the supposedly media-friendly Q9m, this Windows Mobile 6 smartphone makes use of its aGPS chip by bundling in VZNavigator - $250 after a $50 mail-in rebate
• Windows Mobile XV6900 aka HTC Touch - Yes, the newest of at least 10 Windows Mobile devices in Verizon's lineup, is the one Sprint calls HTC Touch, which brings a marginal amount of touchy-feely finger navigation to the so-over-that WinMo interface - $350 after a $50 mail-in rebate
• Alias by Samsung - A silver version of the existing dual-flip-action SCH-u740, this one has an "updated easy-to-read full" QWERTY keyboard although the original one had some kind of QWERTY action, too - $130 after a $50 mail-in rebate
Don't tell me this is all you got, VZW!! If it is, well, at least you're soon gonna let us port phones from Sprint and Helio.
More info for the genuinely interested:
VERIZON WIRELESS AND LG INTRODUCE THE SLIM enV2™ BY LG
Successor to the Popular enV by LG, the Slim, Stylish enV2 Comes in Two Hot New Colors Along with Larger External Keys and Internal Display
LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and SAN DIEGO - Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, and LG Electronics MobileComm U.S.A., Inc. (LG Mobile Phones) today announced the enV2™ by LG will be available in April, online at www.verizonwireless.com and at more than 2,400 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores across the nation, including those at Circuit City. The successor to the popular enV by LG, the new enV2 gets a makeover with a new slim redesign and sophisticated black or maroon finish.
The enV2 supports a number of features and services that customers have come to expect in wireless phones from LG and Verizon Wireless, including V CAST Music and Video, VZ NavigatorSM, Bluetooth® capabilities, dual speakers and a 2.0 megapixel camera. The phone's spacious QWERTY keypad with large sized external keys makes messaging easy, while its 2.4-inch internal screen offers crisp, crystal-clear videos and images.
The enV2 is the ideal multimedia device for music and video lovers. Verizon Wireless' V CAST Music store gives customers access to more than 2.8 million songs from both well-known and independent artists to download and blast on the phone's dual speakers. Music aficionados can enjoy the rich, full sound of their favorite tunes anywhere, anytime by simply pairing the enV2 with a Bluetooth Stereo headset or accessory. Customers can also record and save a variety of video clips that can easily be shared with family and friends by using the video recording capabilities on the enV2. A separately purchased external memory microSD™ card allows customers to store their own music or video clips on their phones and move them from their PCs to their phones.
"We are addressing the burgeoning texting trend by spending time asking what consumers want and expect from their mobile devices," said Mr. Ehtisham Rabbani, vice president of product strategy and marketing for LG Mobile Phones. "We know the texting audience wants a mobile device that is compact enough to slide easily into pant pockets and handbags without compromising the integrity of the phone's features. The slimmed-down enV2 offers everything consumers loved about the enV with the added benefit of a larger, more spacious internal screen with large easy-to-text keys."
Equipped with access to VZ NavigatorSM, enV2 is also a great companion when on-the-road.
VZ Navigator uses location-based services (LBS) to provide audible turn-by-turn navigation and the ability to find more than 14 million points of interest, from ATMs and gas stations to restaurants and tourist destinations. The enV2 by LG also offers the following features and capabilities:
* Mobile Web 2.0SM-capable - customizable, enhanced wireless access to the latest in news, sports, weather and more
* Get It Now®-capable - download games, ringtones, wallpapers and more
* Wireless Sync E-mail (BREW® e-mail Client) capability
* Instant Messaging using AIM®, WL Messenger®, and Yahoo!®
* 2.0 megapixel camera and camcorder:
o Self-Portrait capabilities and external LCD for self-portraits
o Camera Resolutions: 1600 x 1200 (default), 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, 320 x 240 pixels
o Image Editor - rotate, zoom, crop
o Digital Zoom: up to 10x (zoom varies by image size; camera setting of 1600 x 1200 pixels does not support zoom function)
o Video Resolutions: 320 x 240, 176 x 144 (default) pixels
o Video Player for WMV, MP4, 3GP, 3G2 formats
* Music Player for .mp3, .wma, and unprotected .aac and .aac + files
* microSD memory port with up to 8 GB support - store music, customer generated pictures and video (not all downloaded content may be moved to the microSD card)
* Supported Bluetooth Profiles - compatible with devices that support headset, hands-free,* dial-up networking, advanced audio distribution (stereo), phone book access, basic printing, basic imaging, object push for vCard and vCalendar and file transfer
* Auto view and Text to Speech, so text messages can be heard aloud
* 1,000 address book contacts with five numbers, two e-mail addresses and a Picture ID for each entry (Picture ID is dependent on photos stored in My Pictures)
* Function Key - customizable for 10 shortcuts
* Frequency: 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA (Digital Dual-Band)
* Dimensions: 4.00" (h) x 2.13" (w) x 0.65" (d)
* Weight: 4.23 ounces
* Standard Battery: 950 mAh Li-Polymer
* Up to 320 minutes of usage time or up to 520 hours of standby time
* TTY/TDD support
* Hearing aid compatible (M3/T3-Rating)
The enV2 by LG will be available for $129.99 after a $50 rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE BLACKBERRY CURVE SMARTPHONE
Sophisticated Full-QWERTY BlackBerry Curve 8330 Delivers Uncompromising Communications, Rich Multimedia Features, VZ Navigator and Broadband Speeds
LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and WATERLOO, Ontario - Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, today announced the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone will be available in May. Packaged in a liquid silver-colored finish with chrome highlights, smooth edges and soft curves, the BlackBerry Curve 8330 is backed by Verizon Wireless' high-speed Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) network. This small and light smartphone has rich multimedia capabilities and is VZ NavigatorSM-capable. VZ Navigator is Verizon Wireless' location-based service that offers customers mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and access to information on more than 14 million points of interest.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330, RIM's smallest and lightest full-QWERTY smartphone, combines stylish looks with the tools people need to manage their professional responsibilities, maintain personal communications and entertain their senses.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 offers the following capabilities and key features:
* Small and light design that is easy to handle and use; measures 4.2" x 2.4" x 0.6"and weighs only 4 ounces
* Large, vibrant 320 x 240 display, with light sensing technology that automatically adjusts brightness for optimal viewing in outdoor, indoor, and dark environments
* Responsive, highly-tactile full-QWERTY keyboard and RIM's intuitive trackball navigation system
* Premium phone features including: noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated "send," "end," and "mute" keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth® 2.0, with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets (Bluetooth stereo audio profile A2DP/AVRCP), car kits and other Bluetooth accessories
* 2.0 megapixel camera with support for video recording*, self-portrait mirror, enhanced flash and 5X zoom
* Easy access to the popular Facebook® for BlackBerry® Smartphones application
* 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack and dedicated volume controls
* Advanced media player and enhanced desktop media manager software that makes it easy to move media files between a PC and the BlackBerry Curve 8330 - USB Data Cable comes in-box
* MicroSD™/SDHC memory card slot, providing plenty of additional storage (up to 8 GB)
* HTML web browser delivers a fast, rich browsing experience and supports streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com (3GPP RTSP streaming protocol over EV-DO)
* A removable, rechargeable battery, rated for up to 260 minutes of talk time and up to 11 days of standby time
* In-box accessories include: a stereo headset, travel charger and premium tote sleeve
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone is supported by BlackBerry® Internet Service that gives customers access to up to 10 supported POP3 and IMAP personal and corporate e-mail accounts, including most popular ISP e-mail accounts. It is also supported by BlackBerry® Professional Software for small businesses and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone will be available at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $269.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the handset is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase. Customers who purchase a Verizon Wireless Nationwide voice plan can also subscribe to the E-Mail and Web for BlackBerry plan for an additional $29.99 per month while those opting for a data-only plan can pay $34.99 per month for unlimited e-mail and access to the Internet.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers should contact a Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative directly at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.
* Video recording requires a microSD memory card, sold separately.
VERIZON WIRELESS EXPANDS ITS MOTO Q LINE-UP WITH THE ADDITION OF THE MOTO Q 9C
Sleek MOTO Q 9c Smartphone Keeps Busy Professionals on Track with GPS Navigation
LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. - Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) announced today the April availability of the MOTO™ Q 9c, the newest addition to Verizon Wireless' MOTO Q family, that comes equipped with Verizon Wireless' popular VZ NavigatorSM service. Customers may purchase MOTO Q 9c in April through Verizon Wireless business sales channels, at Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
Similar to its predecessors - the exclusive MOTO Q 9m and the original MOTO Q - the MOTO Q 9c from Verizon Wireless offers professionals an indispensable productivity tool wrapped in a sleek and fashionable design. The MOTO Q 9c is the ideal smartphone for business professionals who are on-the-road and offers powerful capabilities, including access to more than 14 million points of interest with Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigator service. Customers can receive visual and audible turn-by-turn directions to a destination, locate business meeting destinations, ATMs, restaurants, and other places in an area, get a map of a location, bookmark favorites and recent searches, and even share locations with others - all from their MOTO Q 9c smartphones.
MOTO Q 9c operates on Verizon Wireless' wireless broadband network and features Windows Mobile® 6 Standard software, which offers customers a robust and familiar experience to help manage their lives by staying connected to their contacts, calendar and entertainment. With Windows Mobile 6.0, customers are able to easily configure virtually any POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail accounts, and they can read, edit, and create Microsoft® Word®, Excel® and PowerPoint® documents via the Documents To Go® application.
"Verizon Wireless has embraced the MOTO Q family, recognizing that not all smartphone users have the same priorities. Verizon Wireless customers can find the MOTO Q that meets their multi-tasking needs, while on-the-go," said Juergen Stark, corporate vice president of Productivity, Mobile Devices, Motorola, Inc.
MOTO Q 9c offers all of these features wrapped in a sturdy design. The optimized QWERTY keyboard on MOTO Q 9c has been engineered for fast and accurate typing, with dedicated "hot keys" for shortcuts to popular applications, including e-mail, multimedia and Internet. The handset's large 2.4-inch color display boasts innovative adaptive technology to automatically adjust for optimized brightness in indoor or outdoor lighting conditions to maximize battery life. MOTO Q 9c also offers a 1.3 megapixel camera with flash and fixed focus as well as video capture and playback. With MOTO Q 9c phone's 128 MB of on-board memory and optional removable memory future-proofed up to 32 GB, sold separately, customers have plenty of room to store their photos and other multimedia.
MOTO Q 9c also combines advanced phone capabilities, such as voice-activated dialing, smart contacts dialing, speakerphone, and Stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology supporting both Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP profiles.*
MOTO Q 9c will be available online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $249.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate and a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the handset is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase. Verizon Wireless Nationwide E-mail plans for MOTO Q 9c begin at $79.99 for 450 anytime voice minutes and unlimited e-mail. VZ Navigator is available for $9.99 for monthly access.
VERIZON WIRELESS UNVEILS STYLISH, INTUITIVE XV6900 FOR MOBILE PROFESSIONALS
The XV6900 Features an Easy-to-Use Touch-Screen, Simple User Interface, and Quick Access to Games, E-Mail and More
LAS VEGAS and BASKING RIDGE, N.J. - Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, today announced the XV6900 will be available in April through Verizon Wireless business sales channels, at Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com. The Verizon Wireless XV6900 is a stylish, compact and versatile touch-screen phone, optimized for easy navigation with the swipe of a finger and runs on Verizon Wireless' network, which gives the pure white XV6900 fast Internet and e-mail connectivity.
The XV6900 from Verizon Wireless takes touch to the next level with smooth navigation. Whether customers are accessing local weather reports, navigating to the Internet, flipping through photos, or one-touch dialing of loved ones, they can interact with a myriad of the XV6900's features with just a flick of their fingers.
The Verizon Wireless XV6900 leverages the broad functionality and communication capabilities of Windows Mobile® 6 Professional with access to Outlook Mobile® for smooth e-mail integration, Office Mobile and the ability to run a bevy of third-party applications. Verizon Wireless customers will also have the ability to surf the Web through Internet Explorer® Mobile, send and receive e-mails or chat on popular Messenger services including AIM®, MSN®, Yahoo!®. Designed with the sophisticated customer in mind, the Verizon Wireless XV6900 allows customers to view and edit Microsoft Word® and Excel® files, as well as view Microsoft PowerPoint®, Adobe® Reader® LE PDF Viewer and view, extract and create new ZIP files and attachments. The intuitive home screen on the XV6900 provides one-touch access to e-mail, text messages, calendar appointments and contacts, as well as current weather conditions and forecasts for hundreds of cities around the world.
Additional features of the XV6900 include:
* Built-in speakerphone
* Bluetooth® v. 2.0 with support for stereo, hands-free, and headset profiles
* microSD™ memory card slot with support up to 8 GB
* 2.0 megapixel camera with video capture
* 256 MB ROM / 128 MB RAM
* 2.8" TFT-LCD touch-screen with LED backlight
* 3.98" (l) x 2.35" (w) x 0.56" (d)
* Support for Office Outlook Mobile and Microsoft Exchange® with Direct Push
The XV6900 will be available online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $349.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the handset is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase.
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE ALIAS™ BY SAMSUNG
Slim, Dual-Hinge Flip Phone Gets Updated Full-QWERTY Keyboard and Stylish Silver Finish
LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and DALLAS - Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung) announced the Alias™ by Samsung will be available in mid-April. The successor to the popular Samsung SCH-u740, the Alias will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com or in any of the 2,400 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City.
The Alias sports the familiar dual-hinge design of the SCH-u740 but is packaged in a cool silver finish and features an updated easy-to-read full-QWERTY keyboard, making the phone ideal for sending text messages and e-mails. When customers open the Alias vertically, the phone is a sleek and stylish clamshell phone.
When the Alias is opened horizontally, the QWERTY keyboard is revealed to show its new color-defined numbers and letters. In addition to sending text messages, customers can use Wireless Sync, Verizon Wireless' proprietary personal information management solution, to synchronize their phones with their home or office PCs for easy access to e-mail, calendar, contacts and task information. The horizontal view is ideal for using the Alias' multimedia features, including Verizon Wireless' V CAST Music and Video services. With V CAST Music, customers can choose from more than 2.8 million songs from well-known and independent artists to download over-the-air directly to their phones or transfer their own music collection from their PCs to their phones. With V CAST Video, customers can download or stream video clips from the best names in news, sports and entertainment.
Additional features of the Alias include:
* 1.3 megapixel digital camera with flash
* Get It Now® - downloadable games, ringtones, wallpapers, location-based services and more
* Mobile Web 2.0SM - customizable, enhanced wireless Internet access to the latest in news, sports, weather and more
* Instant Messaging using AIM®, MSN®, Yahoo!®
* Text, picture and video messaging
* Bluetooth wireless technology - Object Push Profile for vCard, headset, car kits, serial port and certain dial-up networking profiles
* Expandable memory with external microSD™ card slot
* Dimensions: 3.8" x 2.04" x .58"; 3.65 ounces with standard battery
* Bilingual user interface: English and Spanish
* TTY/TTD Capable
* Personal organizer with Calendar, Calculator, Notepad, Currency Converter, Alarm Clock, World Time and Stop Watch
The Alias will be available in mid-April for $129.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit www.verizonwireless.com.