I didn't get away this summer, but maybe you did. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, make the office-dwellers jealous. Send us your best summer vacation photos. (Taken this week, or any time this season!)
Take a photo that makes us all jealous of your amazing vacation.
When I think summer vacation, I think beach. And there are several tricks you'll want to keep in mind when photographing on the sand and water. This tutorial is a nice bite-sized intro, with actionable ideas—like taking advantage of your flash (which may soundc counter intuitive in the sun, but can fill in a shadowy face against a bright backdrop).
Our lead image is from See-ming Lee, and it's of Sanya (the Hawaii of China). I dig that the picture goes a bit too far with the amped up colors, to the point where the inner tubes glow like Life Savers candies in the water.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this summer.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 18th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Vacation" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameVacation.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameVacationWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.