Movies—no matter how groundbreaking or vision changing or future defining—are trapped under the limitations of the technology of their time. Which often means that a movie’s imagination of the future is handcuffed with those same limitations. Their vision of the future may be correct but the technology used to execute that idea is often hilariously outdated.
Watch Mojo cooked up 10 movies that utilize those hilariously outdated versions of futuristic technology in the video below. The list includes some of my favorite movies of all time! But you have to admit that some of these ‘futuristic’ technologies are from a future you’d want no part of.
- Alien’s MU-TH-UR 6000
- Back to the Future II’s Fax Machine
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope’s Death Star Plans
- Strange Day’s SQUID
- Death Race 2000’s Large Backpack Camera Unit
- Escape from New York’s Wire Frame Map
- Total Recall’s Robot Driven Taxis
- Barbarella’s Portable Brain Wave Detector
- Blade Runners’ Public Video Phone
- Star Trek: Nemesis’ Argo Buggy