Half way done with Toybox's third and final month on the Recruit program. Let's have a catchup with how we're doing this week, shall we?
Well, the first astronomical hit from last month has now slipped out of Quantcast's monthly tracking, so despite an overall above average week for Toybox, there was quite a knock to the average monthly US people - a slump down to 717k. It was fully expected, and is still absurdly successful, but I expect the number to drop even further within the next week when the second huge view spike leaves tracking. I'm pretty certain that the site has done well enough that even without the spike's inclusion Toybox should remain comfortably over the 300k average once more though, so it's all fine and dandy even if it's lower figures.
It was a bit of an angry week for Toybox programming - we asked what happened to big ticket Epic Fantasy at the Movies, and gnashed our teeth at hamfisted attempts to make outlandish heroes 'ultra real'. But it wasn't all ranting: we looked at some wonderfully weird and inventive fan theories, rejoiced at Carol Danver's first action figure as Captain Marvel, took at look at the original stars of Big Hero 6, and marvelled at one Physicist's take on the ineffectiveness of Bard's Black Arrow. Here's the week that was on Toybox.
The Best of The Best
A veritable handful of Toybox's features and biggest stories of the week.
- What happened to all the Fantasy Movies?
- Here's what Big Hero 6's Hiro and Baymax looked like, 16 years ago
- Comic Book Movies should be anything but 'Lo-Fi' and 'Ultra-real'
- Would Game of Thrones' armour be viable in actual combat?
- 7 Weird and Wonderful Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Theories
And The Best of The Rest
Not every Toybox story gets to grace the front pages of io9. Here's a few things you might have missed.
- The Power of Sailor Moon Branding comes to... Tortilla Chips?
- Blizzard have planted an Axe in a Times Square Taxi, because Warcraft
- The Elder Scrolls' most infamous creature is now an adorable Plush Toy
- Good News: New Batgirl Statue! Bad News: It's not out until Fall 2015.
- Bard's Black Arrow Can't Kill Smaug - According to Physics
The only way to get it all though? Keep your eyes on Toybox.
You're reading Toybox, io9's new blog for all things pop culture. From merchandise to awesome fan creations, TV recaps and critical commentary on the hot topics of the day, you can find it all here!