Tax day is upon us. For some that means a refund check, and for others, that means saying goodbye to your cold hard cash. So for this week’s Shooting Challenge, we’re photographing money. But be sure to read how to do it legally:
Take a photograph of money. Specifically? COINS. Because it’s illegal for you to photograph or print US paper currency (which includes checks, bonds, etc). As for international currency, both paper and coin, check this list first to stay in the clear.
Many of you may want to try close up, macro photography for this. If so, here’s a decent tutorial to get you started. If you don’t have a special macro lens, just be sure to not get too close to your subject, or you’ll actually throw your image out of focus. There’s all sorts of math you can do to learn the range of focus on your lens. Many lenses even print focal length on the side.
Our lead image is by Martin Cooper. Say what you will about high contrast photography, but I think this looks great.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you’re using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, April 13th at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with “Money” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameMoney.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameMoneyWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.