Have you ever thought how great it would be to fly, only to look up, and see the dangers of wires, tree branches, and street lights in your way? (Ah, then I'm the only one.) The point is, there's a lot over our heads, all the time. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, shoot straight up.
Take a photo that's straight up in the air (inside or outside). But, you know, find something cool to photograph in the process.
The trickiest part of this challenge will be balancing your exposure, if you're shooting outside. You'll want to expose to your subject, not the sky itself. And I would not take a photo around noon, when you'll be photographing into a wash of sun. That said, a little planned lens flare is always fun.
Our lead image is by Martin Pettitt, taken in London at The Shard skyscraper. It's fantastic, right? I actually love the juxtaposition of leading lines in the image, confusing my brain as to where to look next.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 31st at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Up" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameUp.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameUpWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.