Take a photo with texture as the subject. In fact, try to fill the whole frame with one texture. Rather than show us a textured object, make the texture the object. Make sense?
To really get into a texture, you'll need sharp focus. And to maximize focus, if you're using an dSLR, you'll want to close down your aperture (or choose a higher f number, like F8). At the same time, you'll slow down your shutter speed to compensate, allowing in more light. As a result, you'll have more of the image in focus, and you'll get enough light through your lens to make the image possible.
Here's a great tutorial on that stuff.
Our lead image, by James St. John, is of wind-rippled sand on a beach. Stylistically, I can't decide if I like the imperfections of the dead grass stalks, or if I'd prefer a cleaner shot. I'm leaning toward the former, as he's celebrated a texture while giving it just a hint of context.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, January 26th at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Texture" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTexture.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameTextureWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.