Of all the Star Wars shows coming to Disney+, one remains the most mysterious. It’s set in a time period most fans don’t know and it’s not about a preexisting character, at least we think it isn’t. What we do now is that the show has its star: Amandla Stenberg.
Stenberg has reportedly been cast as the lead character in The Acolyte, which is being developed by Russian Doll co-creator Leslye Headland. The show is set during the end of The High Republic era (which you can read all about in various excellent books and comics currently out in stores), and with a title like The Acolyte, it’s likely to deal with some sort of Force users. Whether those people use the light side or the dark side, we don’t know. (“Acolyte” has a dark side connotation in Star Wars.) The Illuminerdi first broke the news which was then confirmed by Variety and Deadline; io9 has reached out to Lucasfilm for comment and we will update this post should we hear back.
No one is exactly sure what role Stenberg is likely to play, only that it’s most likely the lead and maybe a character named “Aura.” No matter what the role is, though, it’s the lead of a Disney+ Star Wars show, making it the biggest role of their career so far. Stenberg first role to prominence when they played the young Rue in the original Hunger Games. From there, they did several roles culminating in critical acclaim for the charged drama The Hate U Give. Earlier this year, they were seen in the controversial musical Dear Evan Hansen. And now, they may be going to a galaxy far, far away, to a time even longer ago.
We’ll have more on The Acolyte as it breaks.
Read more from io9:
- This New Empire Strikes Back Set Footage Is the Best Thing You’ll See Today
- The Mandalorian’s Pedro Pascal Says He Doesn’t Want to Take His Helmet Off Too Much
- It’ll Cost $6,000 to Star Wars LARP With Your Family at Disney World
- The Many Looks of Ahsoka Tano
- Star Wars: Visions Gets It
- Breaking Down Star Wars: The High Republic—Old Jedi, New Tech, and Fascinating Connections
- A Brief Guide to the Long, Ever-Changing History of How Star Wars Has Portrayed Mandalorians
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge—The 77 Most Fascinating Things We Learned on Our Trip
- The Weird History Behind Darth Vader’s Castle
- The 35 Best Star Wars Moments of the Disney Era
- New Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge VR Is Here: Easter Eggs, Action, and the Force
- A Very Serious List of Star Wars Characters Matt Smith Could’ve Been in The Rise of Skywalker
- Our Fascination With Canon Is Killing the Way We Value Stories
- The Legacy of Empire Strikes Back’s Biggest Spoiler, 40 Years Later
- What Palpatine Left Behind
- A Field Guide to The Book of Boba Fett’s Star Wars Aliens
- Star Wars Saved Its Best Entrance for Carrie Fisher
Wondering where our RSS feed went? You can pick the new up one here.