It’s not every day that surgeons have to remove 11 pounds of coins from the belly of a patient. It’s even more remarkable when that patient is a sea turtle.
That’s exactly what happened in Thailand last month, when a captive green sea turtle named Omsin, which means “Piggy Bank” in Thai, was rushed into emergency surgery. She was drowning because the coins she ate, thrown into her tank for good luck, had formed a heavy ball in her stomach, cracking her ventral shell and causing an infection, according to the Associated Press. While the surgery was a success—915 coins were removed—blood poisoning from nickel leaching later killed her.