We're just over a third of the way through October already - phew! Let's take a bit of a breather and look back on the last week in popular culture, shall we?
Now that the confusion over just how Quantcast has been tracking me is over, it's been easier to sort of just stop thinking about the figures and get on with maintaining the site - which has been nice, because outside of a huge spike last Sunday thanks to Interstellar's digital/analog debate (of all things), this has actually been the worst-performing consecutive run of days Toybox has had so far. It's not all bad - even though the numbers were much lower than usual, they were still double per-day than what Toybox needs to hit its targets. As of yesterday, the site is tracking at 526k US monthly people, well above the 300k goal it needs to maintain: so even with a bit of a wobble Toybox is going strong. Once again, a humble thank you for your support!
It might have been a quiet week, but that didn't stop us from discussing a plethora of topics - and a lot of comic books, appropriate for the week of New York Comic Con! We've looked at beautiful toys, from Batgirl to the adorable plush Serenity, talked about actors who nearly became Hollywood's superhero megastars, pondered Spider-Man's place in the MCU, and even seen the official Dancing Groot toy in action (even if it didn't live up to our wild expectations). It was a week twinged by sadness too with the loss of Utopia from our screens, the wild and intense British thriller that we took a fond look back at as well. Here's the week that was in all things Toybox.
A veritable handful of Toybox's features and biggest stories of the week.
- 8 Actors who nearly played Comic Book heroes on the big screen
- Watch 25 years of Simpsons couch gags evolve before your eyes
- These previously unseen Star Wars posters look absolutely awesome
- These are your first Age of Ultron toys
- Final Fantasy designer returns to give us this bizarre Catwoman redesign
- Here it is: your official all-singing, all-dancing Baby Groot Toy!
Not every Toybox story gets to grace the front pages of io9. Here's a few things you might have missed.
- A New Hope's Trench Run sounds pretty good with Star Trek's soundtrack
- These Action Figures inspired by the work of Jae Lee are just stunning
- Someone has betrayed River Tam in, err... Firefly Clue?
- Archer's Spy Agency will change its name, thanks to Jihadi Militants
The only way to get it all though? Keep your eyes on Toybox.
You're reading Toybox, io9's new blog for all things pop culture. From merchandise to awesome fan creations, TV recaps and critical commentary on the hot topics of the day, you can find it all here!