The Future Is Here
We may earn a commission from links on this page

Here's What Americans Call "Muggles" in the World of Harry Potter

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

Big happenings in the wizarding world of H.P.! Courtesy of that Entertainment Weekly that presented the first picture of Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, we have now learned that American witches and wizards have a whole new term for those who can’t practice magic.

Ready? According to J.K. Rowling herself, it’s “No-maj,” which sounds like “no madge” as in an abbreviated form of “No magic.” Kind of like “nomad.” Now I want to know all the other American wizard vocabulary. Do we have a different derogatory term for muggles, like “mudbloods”? What do we call “floo powder”? Do we have horcruxes? Do we even use the same spell words?


[Via Comic Book Resources]

Contact the author at