New Falcon and the Winter Soldier Pics Give Zemo a Real Supervillain Costume

Look how happy he is to finally have a mask!
Look how happy he is to finally have a mask!
Screenshot: Marvel Studios

Captain America: Civil War is a pretty flawless movie, and is arguably still the finest film the Marvel Cinematic Universe has brought. The only real problem even the most pedantic comic book nerds could find with it is how the film’s antagonist, Helmut Zemo (Daniel Brühl), isn’t a supervillain like his comic book inspiration—he’s just a dude. Happily, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is about to fix that.

Advertisement

The Marvel Collect trading card app from Topps has released images of four of the Disney+ show’s main characters in all their costumed glory. The Falcon outfit donned by Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) is pretty much par for the course:

Illustration for article titled New Falcon and the Winter Soldier Pics Give Zemo a Real Supervillain Costume
Image: Marvel

Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) looks spiffy in his new outfit:

undefined
Image: Marvel

But Brühl’s Zemo is the character who gets the real upgrade:

undefined
Image: Marvel
Advertisement

The mask is inspired by the outfit worn by the character in the comics, naturally. Personally, what I love is the fur collar of his trenchcoat, which is reminiscent of the original costume’s pointless shoulder fringes:

Avengers #273 art by John Buscema.
Avengers #273 art by John Buscema.
Image: Marvel
Advertisement

Finally, there’s also a pic of John F. Walker (Wyatt Russell), a.k.a. U.S. Agent, the Captain America doppelgänger cooked up by the government to replace Steve Rogers:

undefined
Image: Marvel
Advertisement

It’s a terrible Captain America-inspired costume, but John Walker is very pointedly a terrible Captain America replacement, so it works rather perfectly. Somehow, the star-shaped “A” on his forehead looks worse to me than a simple “A” or star would. It feels very marketed, which is, again, the point.

Missing from this line-up is Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp), who almost certainly has a new outfit herself, given that she left SHIELD in Civil War. Presumably, we’ll get to see it when The Falcon and the Winter Soldier debuts on March 19.

Advertisement

For more, make sure you’re following us on our Instagram @io9dotcom.

Advertisement

Rob Bricken was the Editor of io9 from 2016-18, the creator of the poorly named but fan-favorite news site Topless Robot, and now writes nerd stuff for many places, because it's all he's good at.

DISCUSSION

allyoureggs55
Mini Moose

Look, I like Civil War. Its a great Marvel movie, but on its own its kind of bad. It suffers from everything people complain about Iron Man 2, which ironically one of my favorite in Phase 1.

90% of it is set up for other movies, and the other 10% is dealing with its own flimsy premise. Yeah I get both sides arguments but it just kind of comes out of nowhere. Especially Tony’s side since its his own fault in the first place.

Eh whatever. Its been five years and better people have made better arguments. Its just one of the things thats always bugged me whenever this movie gets so much praise. I wish they had made an actual Cap sequel instead of a Avenger 2.5 to correct some of the AoU missteps.