That's right. We're about to get all local-seasonal up in here. For this week's Shooting Challenge, go to your local farmers market and capture the produce, the culture, or the general scene as you see fit.
Take a photo at your local farmer's market. But, you know, make it interesting.
There are so many ways you could go this week. There's the food porn angle, of course, and it just so happens that food photographs wonderfully under the natural diffusion of a tent. Tents cut through the harsh glare of the sun, which will mean your images won't be overexposed and the colors and contrast will come through with full richness.
You could do staged portraiture, capturing farmers with their wares.
You could photograph candids of your fellow shoppers. (contest rules, of course, state that you get permission from subjects)
Our lead image is from flickr's Rhett Maxwell. You see how it's all blurry around the strawberries? That's due to a shallow depth of field, which was probably a result of both his lens selection (50mm, which will have less of the image in focus than a shorter/wider angle lens) and the somewhat lower lighting under the tent.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 4th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Glitch Art" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameFarmers.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameFarmersWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.