How to Win a Darwin Award: Float a Live Surge Protector in a Pool on a Couple of Flip-Flops

Illustration for article titled How to Win a Darwin Award: Float a Live Surge Protector in a Pool on a Couple of Flip-Flops

I have no context for this photo, but it's one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen. Seriously, how did these jackasses not kill themselves? Hell, maybe they did. Just remember, friends: electricity and idiots do not mix. [Spulch]

DISCUSSION

Actually this is Alabama's response to the supreme court challenge over death by lethal injection as cruel and unusual. Just invite the convicted over for a beer and burger, and voila!

Seriously mythbusters aside, some people do get fried in their pools.

Following are the causes of electrical deaths in the United States

associated with pools in the years 1990-2002.

28 Plugged-in radios or stereos, extension

cords or power tools

13 Underwater pool lights

10 Pool pumps

9 Sump pumps, pool vacuums or pressure washers

SOURCE: U.S. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION