Dreadnoughtus is a newly discovered genus of supermassive titanosaurian dinosaur. At 65 tons, it possesses the largest reliably calculable mass of any known land animal. This dinosaur was clearly a badass (a status attested by its very name); but that got us thinking: What would make it even MORE badass?
What if Dreadnoughtus – whose name already translates, awesomely, to "fears nothing" – had also come equipped with gun turrets? What if it wore armor? What if the creatures perched on its back (yeah, bet you didn't even notice those, Dreadnoughtus is so massive) were like little Dreadnoughtus sentinels, outfitted with their very own lethal weaponry? What if this supermassive titanosaurian dinosaur fought supermassive megalodonic sharks? Or aliens? Or supermassive megalodonic shark-aliens?
We put it to you, dear photoshop-savvy readers, to make Dreadnoughtus into a formidable battleship of a supermassive dinosaur. Below is the biggest, baddest file I could find of Jennifer Hall's concept art. Click it to enlarge, or click here to download.
To get your imaginations going, I've included a few true facts about Dreadnoughtus. Feel free to embellish, exaggerate, or ignore them outright. Below them you'll find posting instructions borrowed from our friends at Kotaku. Now get to it.
- At 65 tons, Dreadnoughtus weighed more than a Boeing 737-900.
- "This animal is nine times the weight of a T. rex," said paleontologist Kenneth Lacovara, lead author of the paper describing Dreadnoughtus, who also called the dinosaur "astoundingly huge," and "just a beast."
- The bones in Dreadnoughtus' tail suggest the appendage was extremely powerful – so powerful that Lacovara and his colleagues speculate that it could have acted as a weapon.
- When they find an animal this large, paleontologists expect it to be largely muscled, but Lacovara told me one of the must surprising things his team found was that Dreadnoughtus was brawny beyond their expectations. "Even for its size," he says, "it has extremely large muscle attachments."
How To Upload Images — Instructions
1. Create your 'Shop and save it to your desktop. Images must be at least 636 pixels wide. If they aren't, you will be shot.
2. Go to the bottom of this post
3. This brings up a comment window. Click
4. This brings up Click "Choose file" if you're uploading your 'shop from your desktop
5. Alternatively, you can upload the 'Shop to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. Then paste the image's URL into the field that says "Image URL." Note: this must be the URL of the image itself, not the page where it is displayed. That means the URL ends in .jpg, .gif, .png, whatever.
6. Add editorial commentary and hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn't, upload the image to imgur and paste the image URL as a comment. I promise I will look at it.
7. Large-size images may not upload properly, though we have seen some big-ass animated .gifs upwards of 5 MB. If you're still having trouble uploading the image, try to keep its longest dimension (horizontal or vertical) under 1000 pixels, or the whole thing under 2 MB.