Last week, we looked at bugs. This week, I'm sending you back into the bush to catch more of nature's nuance on the macro level. For this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph the wonder of plants.
Photograph a plant—preferably as close as possible, as if Rick Moranis nailed you with a shrink ray and you need to hitch a ride on some airborne pollen before you're consumed by a colony of ants that really holds a grudge.
Just like last week's insect challenge, many of you may use macro lenses, while others will find success by zooming in with a telephoto relatively far from your subject. Either way is a valid approach and will likely require a tripod (or just the ground). I like this somewhat long tutorial and interview over at Discover Wildlife. Page two has some practical tips. For instance, no one will know if you use a spray bottle to mist your subject.
Our lead shot is from Frederic Rivollier on flickr. He appears to have used a 1-second exposure at ISO 200. I dig the photo because of the pollen texture and nature's own yellow/purple complementary colors.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, July 29th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Plant" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnamePlant.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnamePlantWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!