This Sunday, the moon will appear in more splendor than it will for another 20 years. Yes, some of you already sent in photos of this summer's super moons, but that old moon? Pfft. Not as impressive as this month's moon! So for this week's Shooting Challenge, don't miss the opportunity to capture the moon at its best. Take a photo of the moon. The super duper moon.
Take a photo of the moon this weekend. Technically, your best window is 17:44 UT/1:44 PM EDT on Sunday. But depending on your time zone, you may want to wait for the sun to go down, first.
You don't need a telescope to photography a moon—especially a super (duper) moon. All you need is this fantastic tutorial, which will answer all sorts of your questions like, "Why does the moon still look small in my photos?" or "why is my moon a stupid white blob?"
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 11th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Moon" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameMoon.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameMoonWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.