In deep space, a pilot goes through her routine with very little enthusiasm; when offered the chance to name a new planet, she just jams her finger on the “Y” key until the letter fills the submission box. Ho-hum. But when she encounters something unusual among the stars, she remembers why she’s out there in the first place.
That’s the simple but sweet tale that propels Carrier, a short film by Thomas Saville that had its online premiere on sci-fi YouTube outlet Dust earlier this month. Check it out!
A space whale is the last creature you’d expect to encounter out in the middle of intergalactic nowheresville—but what a nice surprise it turns out to be.
More short film posts from io9:
- Sci-Fi Short Re-Live Visits Parallel Realities in Virtual Reality
- Horror Short The Home Tells a Tale as Terrifying as It Is Brief
- A Man, a Woman, and a Very Awkward Birthday Gift Collide in This Charming Sci-Fi Short
- If Jurassic Park Had Time Travelers, It Might Look Like Hell Creek
- 5 Short Films to Distract You From the Winter Blues
- 5 Sci-Fi and Horror Shorts to Help Fill That No-New-Movies Void
- Give Your Attention Span a Break With These 7 Short Sci-Fi and Horror Movies
- A Looming Disaster Turns Personal in Short Sci-Fi Film Inoculation
- Sci-Fi Short Alone Packs All the Drama of a Feature Into 20 Minutes
- 6 Spooky Shorts to Get You in the Halloween Spirit
- Aliens Visit Earth for an Eerily Specific Purpose in Sci-Fi Short Seedling
Want more io9 news? Check out when to expect the latest Marvel and Star Wars releases, what’s next for the DC Universe on film and TV, and everything you need to know about House of the Dragon and Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.