We’re in the thick of summer now, which means one thing. The creepy crawly bugs are out. But don’t be afraid. For this week’s Shooting Challenge, grab your camera and take some photos.
Photograph a bug. Insect, arachnid, no matter. But I prefer you photograph something living. Gorgeous images of dead bugs are just sort of depressing.
In the past, our insect Shooting Challenges have been some of our best. For this week, if you have a macro lens for your dSLR (or even a macro setting on your point and shoot), it’s time to dust it off.
Then go to this super roundup of bug photography tutorials and start reading.
For those of you making attempts at macro photography on an iPhone or other smartphone, keep in mind that if you get too close to your subject, it’ll just get blurry anyway.
Our lead shot is by Adam Tomasewski who submitted this image to Gizmodo back in 2012. The morning dew on insects is just unbelievable to behold.
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 10th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bug” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBug.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBugWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!