The selfie. You could call it a self portrait, but somehow, millennials have made it something more. And for this week's Shooting Challenge, you'll rock the selfie—as ironically or authentically as you choose
Photograph a selfie.
"Ugh, why did he choose selfies??!?!" That's you right now. And you're being judgmental. So before writing this challenge off, consider a few things:
1. Selfies have resonated with a large portion of our culture. You know, like Harry Potter. And Harry Potter was pretty great.
2. Selfies are an amalgamation of the self-portrait, which is as old as art itself.
3. You're a beautiful person, really. (Well, to someone, even if it's just your mom because your mom is someone.)
Now, soak yourself in self-confidence, and set up a tripod, or just hold your camera at arm's length. And take a photo of yourself (preferably without the camera in the frame, because those shots are even worse than selfies). Consider the scene in which you're photographing yourself. Consider lighting. Consider your expression. And then photograph away. Bonus points for finding a clever twist.
You know I actually really love this lead portrait by puuikibeach? Maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for wide angle lenses and cruisewear. Maybe it's because the photo feels earnest and vulnerable. Either way, it's a great selfie. So follow suit.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 20th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Eye" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSelfie.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameSelfieWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!