Imagine meeting the person you want to spend your life with—but you live in a community where partners are forcibly switched via a lottery on a regular basis, and no amount of true love makes any difference. That’s the premise of Heartless, an Icelandic sci-fi short directed by Haukur Björgvinsson, first spotted on Short of the Week.
Ok, technically there is an out—couples who wish to stay together can test their relationships by “selfishly” remaining inside that egg-shaped vessel for seven long years. What happens in there? From what we can tell, nothing good.
Here’s the official synopsis: “Young couple Anna and Gunnar are deeply in love but they live in a society where people are assigned a new spouse by lottery every seven years. As their final day together approaches, they grapple with the nightmare of being torn apart and facing life with another partner.” Before that, we flash back to their early days together—and get a window into the strange circumstances of the society they live in, illustrated rather perfectly by Anna’s mother and her own growing collection of “happy couple” portraits and that truly bizarre lottery scene. It’s a high-concept idea that leaves a lot of questions purposefully unanswered, but it’s executed with an austere elegance, not to mention some heaping spoonfuls of agony and heartbreak.
More short film posts from io9:
- Horror Short The Home Tells a Tale as Terrifying as It Is Brief
- A Man, a Woman, and a Very Awkward Birthday Gift Collide in This Charming Sci-Fi Short
- If Jurassic Park Had Time Travelers, It Might Look Like Hell Creek
- 5 Short Films to Distract You From the Winter Blues
- 5 Sci-Fi and Horror Shorts to Help Fill That No-New-Movies Void
- Give Your Attention Span a Break With These 7 Short Sci-Fi and Horror Movies
- A Looming Disaster Turns Personal in Short Sci-Fi Film Inoculation
- Sci-Fi Short Alone Packs All the Drama of a Feature Into 20 Minutes
- 6 Spooky Shorts to Get You in the Halloween Spirit
- Aliens Visit Earth for an Eerily Specific Purpose in Sci-Fi Short Seedling
- A Bored Pilot Encounters a Space Oddity in Sci-Fi Short Carrier
Want more io9 news? Check out when to expect the latest Marvel and Star Wars releases, what’s next for the DC Universe on film and TV, and everything you need to know about House of the Dragon and Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.