One of the most frugal ways to watch TV is to simply pluck public channels from over-the-air broadcasts. Public channels include the majors — NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC — plus other great free programming, like shows on PBS, often broadcasting with better image quality than cable. That means you don't miss many major events. Last night's State of the Union, the Olympics, and NFL football all have a home on public stations. All you need is a TV with a digital tuner (so, basically any flat screen from the past ten years) and an antenna and you're in. But which antenna? There's no best antenna — hell, there's no such thing as an HD antenna — but the Mohu Leaf is a good choice, especially if you're in the city or suburbs. Lifehacker's Alan Henry reviewed the Leaf and had nice things to say:
Our own Adam Pash already owns a Leaf, and both of us agree-it works as advertised, if not better... When I set it up I was surprised at the number of channels I was able to get and how clear they came in, even though I live in an urban area. Just putting the Leaf on the wall directly behind my TV yielded a surprising number of local and public channels and great video quality.
Today Adorama's got a great sale on the page-sized gadget. They're offering it for $25 with free shipping — and it's still $40 on Amazon. That's a great price for an appliance that you set and forget, at least until you move out. [
Update 3:15: Damn. Looks like it just sold out. Amazon's got them in stock, but they're $40.
We promise we'll improve your Twitter feed: Follow @dealzmodo
• Mohu Leaf HDTV Antenna ($25) | Adorama | Originally $40
These cables fall somewhere between the $2 Chinese knockoff Lightning cables and Apple's $30 option. But what makes these different from the Chinese cables of dubious origin is that Apple's given them the official OK. They're Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod, the title Apple bestows on manufacturers that meet their high standards — or simply attend the right meetings and pay the right fee. [Amazon, Monoprice via MacRumors] h/t J. D. Levite
• Red Leather Nexus 7 Case ($7) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $10
• Logitech Marathon Mouse ($20) | Ice Monkey via Daily Steals | Originally $40
• Samsung HM1700 Bluetooth Headset ($20.37) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $30
• Presto Electronic Digital Timer ($3.69) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $10
• Lego Star Wars Desert Skiff ($17) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $22
• Magna Cart Hand Truck ($26) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $40
• Leather Desk Chair ($100) | Amazon via Logicbuy | Originally $160
• Dyson DC35 Slim Vacuum ($200) | Amazon via Brand Name Coupons | Originally $280
• 50% Off Chocolate Pastries at Starbucks | Starbucks via Reddit | Print coupon for in-store
Apple just cut prices on a whole bunch of Retina MacBook pros. While the 15" models didn't get a price drop, they did get upgraded processors. Also notable is a long-overdue price cut to the 256GB MacBook Air.
What's left of Monster when you take away the branding? Undistinguished headphones that just keep dropping in price.
• Awesomenauts ($3.39) | Steam via Reddit | Originally $10
• Trine 2 ($5) | Steam via Reddit | Originally $20
• Endless Space - Emporor Special Editions for Steam ($5.08) | Nuuvem via Reddit | Originally $30 | Site in Portugese
• Need For Speed Hot Pursuit ($12) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $20
• Max Payne 3 for Xbox 360 ($17) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $30
• Skyrim for Steam ($32) | Green Man Gaming via Reddit | Originally $60 | Use coupon code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS
• 20% Off Green Man Gaming | Green Man Gaming via Reddit | Use coupon code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS
• 40% Off Square Enix Physical Titles | Square Enix via Reddit
• Pogoplug Media-Sharing Device ($15) | Adorama via Dealzon | Originally $22
• Mohu Paper Thin Leaf HDTV Antenna ($25) | Adorama via TechDealDigger | Originally $40
• LG Blu-ray Player ($50) | Walmart via Logicbuy | Originally $1 | No smart functions
• Sony S590 Blu-Ray Player + $20 Amazon Instant Video Credit ($93) | Amazon via Reddit | Originally $100
• Dell Vostro + Quad-Core i5 + 22" Monitor + GeForce GT 620 Graphics ($550) | Dell via Logicbuy | Originally $800 | use coupon code W9D06J14FX10WM
We gave you the cheap antenna, keep looking here for really cheap TVs.
The GoPro 3 Black is currently the consensus best consumer action cam, and usually a gadget status like that means it won't go on sale for a while. But on Ebay today you can save $40 and potentially skip taxes. I'd say that's a Dealzmodo. [Ebay via Wirecutter]
• Flipster Pro ($1) | Google Play via Apps-aholic | Originally $4 | But why wouldn't you use the official Facebook app?
• Gmail Widgets ($1) | Google Play via Apps-aholic | Originally $4
• Freeze Frame ($1) | Google Play via Apps-aholic | Originally $2
• Bataria Pro ($1) | Google Play via Apps-aholic | Originally $2
• Stand O'Food 3 ($1.49) | Amazon Appstore via Apps-aholic | Originally $3
• Anomaly Korea ($2) | Google Play via Apps-aholic | Originally $4
A note on Dealzmodo: We're professional shoppers. We wade through virtual mall after cyber storefront to figure out what's actually a bargain. Yes, we make money if you end up buying. That's capitalism, but we're absolutely looking out for your best interest. Read this if you want to know more.