Yes, most food photography is boring. But most food photography doesn't involve meat, flames, and char. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, I want you to photograph food in flaming action. Photograph food on the grill.
Last week, we looked at bugs. This week, I'm sending you back into the bush to catch more of nature's nuance on the macro level. For this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph the wonder of plants.
Photograph food on the grill. Don't be afraid to get creative. (Just keep the flames in check, pyros).
Now this doesn't necessarily have to be more complicated than grilling something fairly fatty, cranking up the gas, taking a few shots, cranking it down, and checking them. But for the prosumers in the audience, I like this tutorial in that it has some practical advice about lighting, faking, and generally creating the TV commercial grill effect. This video isn't bad either, but it'll make your rig feel woefully inadequate. Either way, you'll probably want to bounce or direct some light at the food, lest it appear as a shadow in the flames.
Our lead shot is from TheBusyBrain. It's lacking flames, but I actually love what may have been a white balancing issue that makes these hot dogs pop in an over-saturated orange and blue fashion.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 5th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Grill" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameGrill.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameGrillWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!