It’s one of the six simple machines, and quite definitely the most important invention of all time (because c’mon, fire so doesn’t count). It’s the wheel. And for this week’s Shooting Challenge, let’s pay it a worthy tribute.
Take a photograph of a wheel—any wheel you spot in the environment.
So I think it’s important that we define what a wheel is and what a wheel isn’t. For our purposes, any circle that spins is a wheel. But random, stagnant circles that you spot in architecture or prints? Those aren’t wheels.
Other than that caveat, the options are wide open. I’ll even accept your gifs if you can match our minimum resolution requirements and keep em under 3MB! The best submissions will probably not just be great photographs, but wheels that we’ve forgotten are wheels (like record players).
Our lead shot is an ADV1 wheel on a Ferrari 430 Scuderia. I don’t know anything about cars. But boy do I know wheels. And that’s a good looking wheel.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They’re so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, October 19th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with “Wheel” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameWheel.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameWheelWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don’t skip this story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!